Whether it’s nearing winter or summer, homeowners throughout the Louisville area are going to want to make sure that their HVAC system is working both properly and efficiently. Nobody wants to risk heading into the winter season with a furnace that’s constantly having problems or that’s on the verge of breaking down. The same can be said about going into the summer with a faulty A/C unit. With that in mind, it’s a good idea to have an inspection done prior to the winter and summer seasons to determine whether your furnace or A/C needs to be replaced.
Signs You Need to Replace Your Furnace or A/C
A lot of the issues that your furnace or A/C might have could potentially be repaired. However, there are cases in which replacement may be the best (and only) option. The following are a few of the common signs that indicate a furnace or A/C replacement may be necessary:
- Completely broken down – If your furnace or A/C has broken down completely, replacement may be necessary — especially if your unit is older.
- Poor heating or cooling – If the airflow is poor (meaning that your furnace or A/C is having trouble heating or cooling your home to your desired temperature) or your home isn’t being heated or cooled evenly, then it might be time for a replacement. In some cases, it might be an issue that can be fixed. The only way to tell is to have the furnace inspected.
- Constant repairs – If you’re constantly paying to have your furnace or A/C repaired, it may be more cost-effective to just invest in a new unit. Even minor repairs will add up over time. It also means that your furnace or A/C is going to keep having problems no matter how often you repair it. If you’re routinely fixing the same thing, odds are it’s never going to stay fixed.
- Expensive repairs – If your furnace or A/C needs repairs but it will cost over 50 percent of what it will cost to purchase a new unit, then it makes more sense to just replace your old unit instead. This is especially true if your furnace or A/C is an older model.
- Strange sounds – While both furnaces and air conditioners make some noise while they operate, there are some sounds that indicate something is wrong. For example, loud clanking sounds often indicate that one or more of the unit’s components is about to break or has broken. Depending on what’s wrong, you may have to replace the entire unit.
- Leaks – If your furnace is leaking gas, it’s incredibly dangerous. You’ll need to get your family to safety and you may need to replace your furnace to ensure that it doesn’t happen again. Excessive A/C leaks, whether water leaks or coolant leaks, could be a sign that the unit has experienced wear and tear to the point where replacement is required.
- Abnormally high energy bills – If you take good care of your furnace and A/C (meaning you schedule yearly inspections, routinely change your filters, and have your air ducts cleaned regularly), then your heating and cooling bills should remain somewhat consistent. If your heating or cooling bills suddenly skyrocket despite your maintenance efforts, it means your furnace or A/C may no longer be able to operate efficiently.
- Old age – The typical furnace and A/C will only last between 15 and 18 years. Once it’s over ten years old, you should think about replacing the unit if it’s in need of repairs. Additionally, once it reaches the 15-year mark, there will be more efficient furnaces and air conditioners on the market, which means replacing it despite the fact that it might still function properly can save you money on your energy costs over the long run.
Contact a Professional Heating and Cooling Service in Louisville Today
If you think that your furnace or A/C might need to be replaced, then contact us at Maeser to schedule a professional inspection to make sure. Here at Maeser, we can help determine whether an A/C or furnace replacement is your best course of action. If it is, our highly experienced technicians can correctly install a new A/C or furnace, ensuring that your HVAC system runs effectively and efficiently throughout the year.