Vacation Checklist for your Home
Are you ready to have your toes in the sand or smell the fresh mountain air as you backpack through the mountains? You work so hard all year with your jobs and with your families, you need some rest and relaxation. So, whether you vacation in the summer, fall or you are a snow bird, planning for your trip is a must. We suggest before you leave, you review this checklist for your home so you will have peace of mind while you are away.
• Turn your thermostat up to 80 degrees for a summer vacation. This will keep your energy cost low, but will not damage your plants, food items, furniture, etc.
• Turn your water heater to the lowest setting, vacation setting or pilot.
• Shut off your home’s main water valve.
• Check your sump pump to make sure it is in good working order.
• Let your bank and credit card companies know your travel plans.
• Unplug small appliances and electronics around your home to save energy and for safety.
• Set a lamp on a timer so it looks like someone is home.
• Stop your mail and newspaper.
• Set automatic away reminder on your email.
• If traveling by car, have your auto thoroughly serviced and the tires checked.
• Leave contact information with family, friends or neighbors. Include your plumbing and HVAC service contractor’s name and number in case of emergency.
Of course, everyone’s list is going to be a little different, so choose what works best for you and your family. We hope you have a fun summer and wish you safe travels.