Love Maeser Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning?Nominate Us Today!
Water leaks can occur throughout your home as a result of any number of issues. For example, water can leak through a damaged roof, from faulty plumbing (including both pipes and fixtures), and from faulty appliances (such as washing machines or refrigerators). Major leaks can result in significant water damage; however, even minor leaks can have a big impact, especially when it comes to your water bills. Unfortunately, water leaks can often be difficult to detect, which is why you should consider installing a water leak detector.
What is a Water Leak Detector?
A water leak detector makes use of sensors to identify even the smallest of leaks. Electronic water leak detectors are able to identify leaks by their sound as they are equipped with transducers. These sensors will trigger an alarm signifying that there is a leak in your home and where the leak is. New “smart” water leak detectors use central hubs that can notify you about the leak via a text, which means you don’t have to be in earshot of your alarm to realize that there’s a leak somewhere. Such a feature is especially helpful if you’re out of the home.
The Benefits of Installing a Water Leak Detector
The following are a few reasons to consider installing a water leak detector:
- Prevent major water damage – Should a pipe burst while you’re out of the home, you’ll be notified that there’s a problem right away. Many water leak detection systems have an automatic valve shutoff feature or will allow you to shut down your water supply remotely. Even smaller leaks can cause water damage because they are more difficult to identify. A water leak detector can spot these leaks.
- Reduce water bills – Even a small leak can result in the waste of a significant amount of water that can greatly affect your water bills. Identifying such leaks so that you can repair them right away can help to keep your water bills under control.
- Be more eco-friendly – By being notified by leaks right away, you can prevent the waste of water, thereby making your home more eco-friendly.
Steps to Take When Your Water Leak Detector Goes Off
A leak detector will let you know if there are water leaks in your home, but it’s up to you to actually address the issue. The following are the steps you should take if your water leak detector goes off:
- Identify the source of the leak – A smart leak detection system will tell you what area in your home the leak has occurred in. If a sensor in the attic has been triggered, there’s likely a leak coming from the roof. If a sensor in the kitchen or bathroom has been triggered, you can assume it’s an issue with your plumbing system.
- Take necessary precautions – Go to the source of the leak to figure out how bad the leak is. For example, if your basement is flooding, you may want to turn off your electricity and begin removing personal belongings that are in danger of being water damaged. If there’s a leak in a ceiling or in your attic, placing buckets below the leak can help prevent potential water damage.
- Shut off the water supply – If your leak is coming from your plumbing system (and it’s not a small leak out in the open, such as a faucet leak), then you may want to shut off your water supply to prevent major water damage. Many smart water leak detection systems can be connected with shutoff valves which can be automatically triggered should a leak be detected in your plumbing system.
- Schedule an appointment – If it’s your roof that’s leaking, you’ll need to contact a professional roofer. If the leak is coming from your plumbing system or an appliance connected to your plumbing system, you will need to schedule an appointment with a licensed plumber. A licensed plumber will identify the root cause of the leak and repair it.
Get a Water Leak Detector Installed Today
Installing a water leak detector in your home can help prevent significant water damage by notifying you of any water leaks that are present in your home that need to be addressed. If you have a leak in your plumbing system that needs to be repaired or if you want more information about installing a water leak detector in your Louisville area home, then be sure to contact us at Maeser today. With over 40 years of experience, we have built a reputation throughout the community as one of the most dependable and trustworthy plumbing services in the area.